After the violation of hide’s grave, I’ve decided to dedicate this week to him; to honor his memory in times when others don’t. This is for all of you who loves hide.
Some basic, curious and sad facts:
- hide was born December 19th 1964 in Kanagawa, Yokosuke Japan.
- hide’s blood-type was AB. According to Japanese beliefs, the blood-type tells a persons character.
- hide played the guitar, composed music and sang, among else.
- hides interest for rock music started at age 15 when he discovered the rock band Kiss.
- At age of 15, he got his first guitar; a gift from his grandmother. It was a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe.
- hide was overweight as a child and got a tough childhood. Unfortunately he got teased in school, became a “trouble-maker” and got expelled.
- hide formed the band called “Saber Tiger” in high school 1981 where it got banned.
- 1986, the band was renamed to “Saver Tiger”.
- 1987, hide got tired of all changes of band-members and decided to end the band. Vocalist Kyo and drummer Tetsu continued to the band D’erlanger.
- hide studied cosmetology and fashion at the Hollywood Beauty Salon in Roppongi Hills 1983.
- 1984, hide took a nationwide examination and obtained a beautician license.
- hide joined X-Japan in February 1987. At that time the band was only named “X”.
- hide became the lead guitarist and occasional songwriter in X-Japan.
- In 1988, hide and the rest of the X-Japan members appeared in the American film called Tokyo Pop.
- Rumors says that hide holds the world record in throwing a TV from a hotel room the longest distance. (Was he really that strong….? O_o)
- It’s said that hide and Yoshiki have been designated among the top 5 celebrities who have done most damage in a hotel room in one night at that time. The damage cost $60000 in total.
- In 1993 hide starred in the forty-three-minute art film Seth et Holth with Tusk. The film was a a mixture of the biblical story of Adam and Eve and Egyptian mythology (more info about this movie will come in a another post).
- 1997, X-Japan announced that they would disband. Only hide kept his visual kei aesthetics when starting his solo-career.
- hide recorded the song “Frozen Bug” with Inoran an J from Luna Sea , year 1993, under the band name M*A*S*S.
- hide established his own record label LEMONed Plant. LEMONed means “defective goods” and points at things that are different from the norm and is accidentally produced (and rare) in the mass production of goods.
- After X-Japan’s disbanding, hide made a solo project with Spread Beaver.
- Eventually hide formed the band Zilch.
- hide had a younger brother named Hiroshi who was his chauffeur and manager.
- Yoshiki claimed that hide never showed his bare chest. Ever. The only video I can think about is “Electric cucumber”. Many asks what might be the reason behind this.
- hide’s nickname is Pink Spider, which is the title of one of his songs and that he performed the day before his death. Some thinks that the pink spider in the lyrics is a metaphor for himself and his wish to escape this world.
- hide said that he had a girlfriend in a TV interview on May 1, 1998, the day before his death.
- hide died May 2nd 1998 in his apartment in Tokyo. He was 33 years old. Some thinks that he committed suicide. Other thinks that it was an accident.
- hide’s grave is located at Miura Reien in Miura City, Kanagawa.
- Within one week of hide’s death, three fans had died in “copycat suicides”.
- Nearly 60 people who attended at hides funeral got hospitalized and 200 needed medical treatment in first aid tents.
- After hide’s death, the prime minister of Japan established a memorial museum (2000). It was unfortunately closed on September 25, 2005. (More info will be added in a another post)
- After hide’s death, his younger brother Hiroshi was the one to throw hide’s ashes with a bottle of wine in the Santa Monica Bay.
- Hiroshi sued Yoshiki in 2010 since they had used hide’s image in X-Japan.
- hide was friend with Marilyn Manson and Manson performed at his tribute concert after hide’s death.
Here comes a fan-video of Seth et Holth that I like. (In other words – you get a sneak peak of the movie already). The choice of music might seem a little bit misplaced, but I believe it’s very well done. Enjoy!
December 13th 1964, born in Kanagawa, Yokosuka
May 2nd 1998, in Tokyo
- Vo&Gt. hide → (SABER TIGER→SAVER TIGER) → X → X JAPAN, hide(solo) → hide with Spread Beaver, zilch → [deceased May 2nd 1998]